The dates in this blog post might be outdated. For the most up-to-date information, please consult our NL landing page.
The VENUE system was set up in 2016 to facilitate and promote a simplified procedure for the international trade of e-commerce goods to and from the Netherlands. It gives e-commerce traders holding a VENUE permit the opportunity to submit incomplete declarations in advance in order to speed up their import and export declarations. Import consignments with a value exceeding € 22 and export consignments with a value exceeding € 1.000 must then be declared in a supplementary declaration within a set period of time. Those with a lower value are exempt from VAT and customs duties and no further action needs to be taken.
VENUE was initially set to expire on 1 January 2021, however it has been extended in light of Brexit with key changes to deadlines, terms, and conditions. Different deadlines apply depending on the types of movements of the e-commerce goods and the age of the VENUE permit, as outlined below. If you use VENUE simplified declarations, it is important to be aware of these deadlines to avoid delays.
- Goods that do not have an origin from the UK for which an exemption of the customs duties is requested under arts. 23, 25 of Regulation 1186/2009. Deadline: 30 June 2021.
- Goods that have an origin from the UK for which an exemption of the customs duties is requested under arts. 23, 25 of Regulation 1186/2009. Deadline: December 2022.
- All other goods that are mentioned in the VENUE permit: Deadline 31 December 2022.
- For VENUE permits that were issued before 1 January 2017, regardless of their value. Deadline: 31 December 2022.
- For VENUE permits that were issued after 1 January 2017 with a value not exceeding €1000,-. Deadline 31 December 2022.
If you have questions regarding your VENUE permit and how we can facilitate your declaration processes, contact C4T’s customs experts.